How to handle a property title dispute

On Behalf of | Aug 14, 2020 | Firm News |

If a person is listed on the title to a Pennsylvania home, that person generally has the right to live there. This is generally true regardless if others who are listed on the title don’t want that individual living with them. Furthermore, the home generally cannot be sold without the permission of all the owners. However, just because a person can’t be forced to move or accept the sale of a home doesn’t mean that it may not be a good idea to do so.

In some cases, a person’s mental health may suffer if they decide to live with an abusive spouse or parent. Those who are disabled and living with a potentially abusive spouse or roommate may want to consider moving to their own home or apartment if possible. Individuals may be able to raise funds to buy a new home or rent an apartment by selling their interest in the house.

Those who are looking to be bought out are likely within their rights to recoup any money spent to improve a property. They may also be within their rights to receive a portion of any positive equity that has accrued since the home was purchased. Individuals who have rights of survivorship who retain their interest in the property will inherit it in the event that other owner dies whether they live there or not.

A real estate attorney may be able to help those involved in a property dispute learn more about their rights. If a person is listed on the title to the home, that individual generally has the right to use the property until it is sold or other owners pass on. A legal representative may help a homeowner negotiate a reasonable settlement or represent that person’s interests in court.